Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Power Exercises - Week 1

As we're getting closer and closer to spring and beginning a sprint to the end of the orchestral season my schedule seems to thicken to a point where if it cools it could turn to stone...so my posts may be late, BUT I will try my best to keep them consistent!

If you've been following along religiously than you are also a day or two into week 2 of the Monroe Power Exercises and what a first week it was! This book is AMAZING. I'm almost sad that I haven't revisited it since I studied it with him in High School! My fingers feel amazing and I can finally get up to high D with some ease! Since there are so many exercises here is the full table of contents for those not actively practicing:


I couldn't believe how awkward some of the scale patterns were (especial day two since I've done it a second time today) but when I came back to the book for the next day I could feel how the awkward patterns built day by day helping each exercise make sense and build throughout the book. Also, since I'm already two days in to week 2, I'm happy to find that I have been able to up the metronome markings from what I predicted (which I had hoped for but with my insecure fingers I never know). As of right now I was planning to create a new challenge for March, but the longer I work on this book the more I'm tempted to do it again next month! I'll keep you posted...what I may do is go to a new challenge and then come back to this for the summer to really work my fingers out mixing it up with the Moyse book.

Since there was a new set of exercises each day, I decided to take photos of my practice notebook rather than write each day out. If anyone would like for me to do that though I'd be happy to come back and transcribe! It'll just be a bit longer.




Here is week 2 (which we're already in) for anyone who wants to jump in now:
Week 2: February 13th - 19th
Articulation of the week: slur two tongue two for douples, slur two tongue one for triples.
I. Chromatics - M - 112, T - 92, W - 92, T - 132, F - 132, S - 60, S - 112
II. Major Scales - M - 120, T - 120, W - 132, T - 132, F - 132, S - 60, S - 112
III. Minor Scales "                                                                                              "
IV. Major Chords - M - 104, T - 104, W - 112, T - 112, F - 100, S - 100, S - 7
V. Minor Chords - "                                                                                             "
VI. Diminished 7th Chords - M - 100, T - 100, W - 100, T - 80, F - 80, S - 104, S - 80
VII. Miscellaneous - Do all comfy and increase as you can

No comments:

Post a Comment