Sunday, May 11, 2014

Tenure and other small updates


The end of most smaller orchestras "regular season" has come which means that many of us are getting ready to throw ourselves into "summer mode". I hope to do a blog about how to string together a lucrative summer as a freelance musician but probably will not do so until I am sure I know how. 

In other news I have gotten the official word and have been offered both tenure and a new contract with the Lansing Symphony for next season! It has been a great year and I am so thankful that things have worked out so well for me. The only downside right now is that it looks like next season will not be using very much piccolo and that means that the number of services I am being offered is less than I had anticipated...More than anything else though, I am happy to have a job (no matter how small). It also looks like I will be featured on an LSO Chamber Series concert in February! Fingers crossed that enough sub gigs come my way to supplement the rest of my concert year.

My own concert series is starting to really shape itself into something I can be very proud of! I already have one group lined up for next season and am in talks with a solo artist for the second concert. This summer will also hopefully be bringing a reunion of my wind quintet the Sparta Winds and we are planning on presenting a program of American composers in July (possibly on the 27th...more info to come soon). I am still trying to figure out a way to guarantee a small fee for the musicians on top of the donations collected at each concert. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

In two weeks I leave for NOI!!!! I am expecting not to blog weekly over the summer but that may change depending on topics that might come up...we shall see.

Until next time!

Happy Practicing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment