Monday, September 15, 2014

Did Ya Miss Me?!

Well it has been a LONG few months since I last posted on this blog! I knew going into my summer I was going to be taking a month away but as fate would have it (and a bit of laziness I must confess) that turned into 3. I am back and will (hopefully) be posting regularly again soon for the few loyal followers I might have!

Shall we talk a bit about my summer? As a flutist who is no longer a student but still much younger than many professionals and others in school I had a very mixed bag kind of summer that was 3 parts exciting 2 parts stressful. In the month of June I attended the National Orchestral Institute and Festival and had an absolute BLAST! I played an average of 10 - 12 hours a day, made a ton of new friends, worked with some amazing coaches and conductors, performed a TON of repertoire, and learned a lot of things about the nature of the business that I have gotten myself into. After five big concerts, a community engagement appearance, and a chamber marathon I was ready to take some time off and enjoy summer. I don't do well with just sitting around doing nothing though so I had a few performances here and there sprinkled throughout July and August but mostly I started working up excerpts for the slew of auditions that I have coming up. And that pretty much wraps up summer without going into a long drawn out version.

Performing as Principal on Holst's "The Planets"

Presenting to a Middle School in Maryland

Shostakovich's 5th Symphony

Having taken a few months away I was able to refocus on my career and come up with a few new tricks that I will be presenting in the coming months. The focus of this blog will remain about how I am trying to piece my musical life together in order to help those just embarking on this journey to have an idea of what works, what doesn't, what major problems I run into, and also to see if anyone has suggestions for me to make things easier. I might veer off from that path from time to time but in general that is what I am committed to doing on here.

In the coming weeks look out for posts concerning (in no particular order):
Creating a Concert Series!
Inside the audition holding pen: things we aren't warned about.
How to get asked back.
What you wear matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment