Sunday, April 27, 2014

Up for Elimination

Wednesday marks the end of my trial period with the Lansing Symphony Orchestra as well as the end of the 2013/2014 concert season. I feel so honored to have been able to spend this past year with such a wonderful and fun group of musicians! For me, though, the stress is really on now. The end of the season and my trial also means that I am up for tenure and possible elimination. In all honesty I will be surprised if I am not offered core membership but you never really know. Did those couple out of tune notes or slightly off entrances make a big impact on how the conductor or my section mates viewed me? Maybe I am too eager. Maybe they don't like the way I dress. Maybe I don't engage with them enough in conversation. I didn't laugh at that one joke...the list goes on and on.

What I do know is that I have spent the last few months trying to stay as true to myself and my musicianship as possible while also trying to be the best section member I can. I have tried to hone my blending and soloistic playing (I am piccolo after all) while also trying to make sure my intonation and reliability were both impeccable. If you can count on one person I want that one person to be me. I show up to every rehearsal early to tune/warm up and I do my best to always have a smile on my face. Those things hopefully do not go unnoticed.

Personal skills are more a part of the music industry than schools would give them credit for. We are tricked into thinking that flawless playing gets us jobs but in all reality although you might "win" with that type of musicianship, keeping the job is another story. Remember to keep a smile on your face and be the best team player possible.

Happy Practicing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment