Sunday, March 9, 2014

Summer Plans and Concert Series


After months of wondering weather or not I just might have made a bit of a mistake not continuing with school right away I was accepted to the National Orchestral Institute this week. The festival only accepts 4 flute players each summer and considering last year I was straight up denied (not even given alternate) I have proven to myself that being out of school I can still improve and make informed decisions about how to progress towards my career goals. This has also given me verification that I really did buy the great new instrument I felt I needed as my level of personal preparation for this years NOI audition wasn't up to par with how I felt compared to the audition that I was denied entrance with last year. I have posted this phrase everywhere in the past few weeks but I will say it again; the ball is rolling and picking up speed y'all!! I'm looking very forward to a month of performing with amazing musicians and conductors this summer and hope that the experience is everything I have built it up to be in my head and more. This news has made me feel so rejuvenated that I am now re-establishing goals that I let slip out of my sight due to my minor depression and am very excited about most of them!



I am most excited to talk a bit about the concert series that I am going to run out of my church titled "Concerts at St. Mary's". Since the International Low Brass Trio performance I have been trying to figure out how to best keep the momentum going and really start to establish a strong tradition of quality concerts in the church and have a plan I will be implementing either starting this summer or next school year. The goal is to have 4 main "season" concerts throughout what I as a performer would consider the "regular concert season" (September through May) and then a shorter "summer festival" which would consist of 3 concerts (either spread out a bit or even 3 days in a row with other things surrounding them). I would love to start this summer with some kind of 3 day thing in July around the second week. What I'm thinking is have a 3 day "Festival of Independence" featuring American composers, artwork, food and writings...more on that to come. As of right now the next concert will be in May (exact date tbd this week) and will feature a program of baroque and 20th century music presented by myself and my good friend Matt Nix (cello).

Hopefully I will be able to get back onto youtube! I have so many great ideas but just not enough time to get them filmed, edited, and posted. Maybe that is also a summer project...

My week in music:

Monday: Bach Cello Suite no. 4
Yo-Yo Ma

Tuesday: Berg Violin Concerto
Anne-Sophie Mutter

Wednesday: Gonna wing it this week...might listen to Verdi since I have that performance coming up.

Thursday: Stavinsky Septet for Wind instruments
James Tocco

Friday: Bach Flute Sonata in b minor
Jean-Pierre Rampal
James Galway *maybe

Saturday: Mahler Symphony no. 4
Chicago Symphony orchestra

Sunday: Puccini La Boheme
Act II
Robert Spano: Atlanta Symphony & Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment