Sunday, March 2, 2014

Quarter Life Crisis?




March is a very important month to me as every single year on March 1st (whether I want to or not) I celebrate my birthday...or at least the event itself happens. This year marks the end of what some could say is the first quarter of my life and also signifies that I am soon to be in my late twenties. Growing up I always saw 25 as the perfect age. You're old enough to drive, and drink (although not at the same time), just wise enough to start to work and save money beginning to gain full independence from the parental units and more than likely done with or close to done with school. I also saw 25 as an age that I would want to either die at or stay at forevermore while the rest of the world aged around me into oblivion. Now that the first day of this ripe age has passed I realize how foolish my thoughts were! Although I am very happy with my general life up to this point I have so many goals that I have simply not achieved yet and may be working towards til 30 and beyond. I also do not feel at all that the momentum of my life is ready to slow down or stagnate. I would admittedly be quite depressed if that were to happen! 

We all have times where we look in the mirror and say "self, now it is time to really make some of the changes we have wanted to. Now is the time to make things happen!". Usually this happens around both the New Year and our birthday. Luckily for me they're not far apart so I get to re-evaluate while my New Year Resolutions are still fresh in mind and chastise myself for all the things I wanted to do but have yet to start. Here 5 things I hope to do and change as I continue to move forward with my crazy beautiful life:

1) Pay off my credit card. I have enough to worry about with my student loans and flute payment to continue worrying about how I have perpetually had money owed to my credit card as well. I also feel that I am too young to be allowing myself to continue to accrue the amount of debt that has amassed itself in my name and honestly I owe a small enough amount that I need to manage paying this off so I no longer have it looming over my shoulder like the shadow of some un-forseen monster that will bar its teeth as I age.

2) Use that gym membership! I'm paying for it...why am I so afraid to use it?! I admit that gym's are intimidating to me. I never got into the habit of going and doing it alone scares me...but I need to get over it and just go. The goal is three times a week minimum. *Fingers crossed*

3) Invest. Recently I came across "Penny Stocks" and the idea has burrowed itself into my brain and I think I'm going to follow it. I can invest a small amount for a small return...but it will still be more than I would have made otherwise! I also want to stop feeling like I'm living day to day hoping that there will be money in my account to pay for gas, food etc and this is a fun way to try and remedy that.

4) Get back to eating veggies. I was eating mostly vegetarian until I moved back home and I really do miss it! I felt better and also looked better in terms of not just my weight but my skin and not looking so tired all the time. This is the easiest one to fix so I'm going to just do it.

5) Random acts of kindness. This is something I generally try to do in the first place but I feel that since recently I have been consumed with my own life and how I can improve it the attention I am paying to things and people around me has waned. Right now I am reminding myself that no matter what is going on with me there are others who not only have it worse but could use help from me. Even something as small as a smile or actually telling the person in the grocery line in front of you that you like their hair cut, outfit, etc can make a world of difference to both of your days.

There you have it. I am also going to try to keep up my new practice schedule which has taken me from 1.5 hours a day back up to 3 minimum (in case you got this far and want to help in holding me accountable).

Listening for this week:

Monday: Bach - Cello Suite no. 3
Yo-Yo Ma

Tuesday: Griffes - Three Poems of Fiona McLeod
Barbara Quintilliani & Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra

Wednesday:

Thursday: Poulenc - Sextet for wind quintet and piano
Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet

Friday: Maslanka - Duo for Flute & Piano
Kimberly McCoul Risinger, Allison Brewster Franzetti
Sonata Fantasy

Saturday: Mahler - Symphony no. 3
San Francisco Symphony

Sunday: Puccini - La Boheme
Act I
Robert Spano: Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment