Sunday, February 16, 2014

Battle Creek


This week has been by far one of the best weeks I think I have had in months! I was told that I would have two more students starting up on Monday's at the store I teach at (which is literal music to my ears), 5 of the flute players at Jefferson High expressed interest in starting to take lessons from me once they get back from winter break and 9 of them are interested in being a part of the flute ensemble that I am going to be starting there! Add in that the Band Director (who is also the Choir Director) at Jefferson wants me to not only continue coaching the flutes but also start to coach the boys in the choir and that another middle school in the area would like me to start coaching and we FINALLY have ladies and gentlemen some form of viable work building up for me! The idea that I am going to have consistent income for almost every day of the week is making me so happy (especially with flute payments coming) and still none of this is the best part!

This week I was finally called for my first paid sub gig with the Battle Creek Symphony Orchestra performing Carmina Burana!!!! When I received the call that the piccolo player had a last minute emergency and they needed someone to fill in I almost starting crying on the phone from joy (although I do hope that it wasn't anything too serious that made their regular have to cancel). Two concerts in one month makes me feel like I'm really accomplishing something and not only that but I have not yet had the opportunity to perform Carmina so I cannot wait to add another major work to my repertoire list!

Friday saw me in East Lansing for the "Night at the Oscars" concert with the Lansing Symphony Orchestra. The rehearsal went well and the concert did also except that in "Charade" I played one line pretty out of tune...I was not happy with myself and hopefully it doesn't come up at the end of the season when they discuss my tenure. I am still on probation and now definitely cannot afford another mistake like that if I want to keep the job for a while longer. One a better note the highlight of the concert for me was getting the opening solo to "My Heart Will Go On" (which redeemed my out of tunedness slightly I hope). The vocalists were ok. I was not a huge fan of the woman...she was a bit too into herself and overindulged way too much in my opinion on some of the tunes. She also was just a tad too sultry compared to the content of a few of the songs. The man was good! He had a really nice vocal quality when he was in his "comfort zone" but outside of that got a bit pitchy...after hearing that he played the Phantom on Broadway for over 100 performances though I can forgive him. Just to be that close to someone who has that kind of role under their belt is amazing.

Second Flute Bryan and I at intermission

Time to practice! Carmina won't learn itself. Look below for my ratings of last weeks "My Week In Music" and the new list!

Review:
Sonata in d minor - Scarlatti: 4 quarter notes

Petroushskates - Joan Tower: piece - 4 quarter notes
                                                          recording - 3 quarter 

Ehru - Chinese - 4 quarter and 1 eighth

Piano Trio K. 498 - Mozart: Piece - 4 quarter notes
                                                   recording - 3 quarter notes 1 eighth

Sonata Op. 36 - Pierne: Piece - 3 quarter notes one eighth note
                                             recording - 5 quarter notes

Symphony No. 1 - Ives: Piece - 4 quarter notes one eighth note
                                             recording 3 quarter notes one eighth note

Rakes Progress - Stravinsky: Act II

Next week's list:
Monday: Bach - Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major
     Yo-Yo Ma: Inspired by Bach - The Cello Suites
     Edgar Meyer: Bach: Unaccompanied Cello Suites Performed on Double Bass

Tuesday: Charles Ruggiero - Fractured Mambos for Tuba and Tape
     Philip Sinder: Aerodynamics

Wednesday: Gamelan: Gamelan Cudamani
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGy1ANrWmY4

Thursday: Johannes Brahms - String Quartet No. 1 in c minor Op. 15
     Tokyo Quartet: Brahms; Shubert: String Quartets

Friday: Henri Busser - Prelude et Scherzo
     Ransom Wilson: Flute Music by French Composers

Saturday: Mahler Symphony No. 1
     Chicago Symphony led by Georg Solti

Sunday: Continuing with The Rakes Progress (Act II)

1 comment: